The current election process shows that political parties have introduced candidates, who have professional experience, aspire for governance activities, keep a certain political niche and have public influence.
It should be noted that our society knows their governance mechanisms, outcomes of economic and political activities, scales of social welfare achievements and professional development. However, it is fact that there is heavy social and economic situation and despair in the country. Therefore, I would like to continue that the existing political potential is not sufficient for the country, because inefficient governance resources cannot ensure economic growth, while old political environment cannot create due scales of development.
We should mentioned a portrait of Georgian political environment:
- All political parties resemble each other in hyperbolic rhetoric, horizons of promises, election technologies, general plans and approaches, maneuvers for shifting attention from key problems, identical ways for problem resolution, political foundation and resources. Laura Thornton, head of NDI Georgia office, noted that Georgia is tired of all political parties;
- The existing political forces cannot ensure efficient governance for overcoming economic problems. We do not see genuinely efficient steps and strategic approaches that would at least quieten the society and encourage citizens, even if they would not be able to resolve problems;
- Because of social and economic problems, the society is unable to make influence on governance and political environment; Naturally, this factor provides greenhouse effect for this environment.
- It is difficult to assert what damage the country will receive from old governance and political environment (in long-term and short-term perspectives). Stimulation of inefficient staff policy will cause social outbreak and lead the country to huge confrontation;
Consequently, it would be better that Mayorship candidates substantiate:
- How do they plan to implement the proposed economic programs (directions) in a depopulated country. Migration scales are bigger in regions because of heavy social and economic conditions;
- Whether proposed approaches interpret demands and the will of people. Whether their programs will resolve current challenges before the society and whether their programs are politically attractive;
- What kind of governance do they plan to apply to reduce debts and social-economic inequality;
- What will be the scales of economic policy. Everybody knows that the higher mobility of political staffs, the lower the hope for overcoming social-economic problems. Moreover, the higher activity of new faces and academic society (that is precondition of progress), the higher the influence of political system on them;
- What will be their governing criteria and standards. Discourse of political system shows that, like the history, when nobles used to conceal peasants, today economists are also «hidden», as well as young intellectual and academic resources. Amid ignoring this resource, both economic environment problems and social challenges before intellectual environment grows;
Based on the above-mentioned we should note the following:
The role and importance of academic resources should strengthen in the country. As noted by Martin Gross: «“We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy». Amid the current «political turmoil», the academic resource should analyze and appraise political environment for shaping proper governance environment in the country;
Political programs, plans, promises «should be judged» in academic way. Academic tone is required for changes and development in Georgia;
The society will not long have the moral resource to remain in «economic repression», because it is generated by not objective actors, but the outdated policy and inefficient governance environment;
The lack of political confidence should be also taken into account. The electors hold valuable experience through political cabinet (the mentioned experience include: care for people, competences, attained goals, tribalism, problem resolution efforts). Confidence in them complies with experience;
In whole, the society should transform Georgia’s political history through formation of new political environment.
Finally, I would like to note that the political environment may be shaped by new political word, new political resources, new political technologies, by setting end to demagogy and disinformation. Otherwise, the society will lose political belief for ever, trust towards political parties and hope for better future. However, as noted by Richard Hassen: «Epoch of Demagogy and Disinformation Takes Roots in Highest Ranks of the Authorities».
Rati Abuladze, Professor, Doctor of Economics