Home / Economy / Georgia Finishes Construction Works of First Wind Power Station

Georgia Finishes Construction Works of First Wind Power Station

Construction works of Georgia’s first wind power station have ended. A total of 6 wind turbines with 3.45 megawatt installed generation power has been already installed.

In October-November the power station will be tested under international standards to examine the turbines capability for power generation. The world’s leading supplier company Vestas Benelux is carrying out the turbines installation works.

LLC Kartli Wind Power Station is a state subsidiary company founded and registered in compliance with the Georgian legislation, in which the stock capital is shared by JSC Georgian Energy Developed Fund (GEDF – 50.01%) and JSC Georgian Oil and Gas Corporation (GOGC – 49.9%). For the project financial support, active negotiations were conducted with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).

Based on the EBRD requirements, the company were to receive 30% of the project value from partner companies, while the Bank would finance the remaining 70% in the form of a loan. On January 11, 2016, LLC Georgian Wine Power Station and EBRD signed an agreement on financing the project by 24 million USD loan.

The wind power station will promote the government’s strategy for developing low-emission generation and satisfying a part of the electricity consumption by wind power in winter season.